News Of The Area (our, us, we) respects your right to privacy.
- what is considered personal information;
- what personal information we collect and hold;
- how we collect, hold, use or disclose personal information;
- the purposes for which we collect personal information;
- what happens if we are not able to collect personal information;
- how to seek access to and correct your personal information;
- whether we disclose personal information outside Australia; and
- how to contact us.
We encourage you to check this policy regularly as this policy may change from time to time. If you have any suggestions or concerns that are not addressed in this policy, please contact us. Please take some time to read through this policy and understand our position on privacy before you provide us with any personal information.
What Is Personal Information
When used in this policy, the term “personal information” has the meaning given to it in the Act. In general terms, it is any information that can be used to personally identify you. This may include (but is not limited to) your name, age, gender, postcode and contact details (including phone numbers and email addresses) and possibly financial information, including your credit card, direct debit or PayPal account information. If the information we collect personally identifies you, or you are reasonably identifiable from it, the information will be considered personal information.
What Personal Information do we collect and hold
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- age or birth date;
- profession, occupation or job title;
- details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our website or online presence through our representatives or otherwise;
- information you provide to us through our service centre, customer surveys or visits by our representatives from time to time.
We also collect personal information in the normal course of business through meetings, phone calls, letters, faxes and emails, as well as via third party credit agencies, mailing lists, advertisers, commercial agreements, documents and dealings. All this information is subject to the APPs.
In addition, we may also collect information about you if you:
- post comments or submit content which is publicly available which contains information about you – this may include information such as your name, user name, likes, tweets, status, profile information and pictures; and
- log-in to or access one of our sites, services or activities through a third party social media service or connect one of our sites, services or activities to a third party social media service – this may include information such as your user ID, user name, information you have disclosed via the social media service and information or content you have permitted the social media service to share with us (for example your profile picture, email address, followers or friends lists).
When you engage in the activities described above, you are authorising us to collect, store, use and disclose such information and content in accordance with this policy.
We will not collect sensitive information revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, or details of health, disability or sexual activity or orientation. However if we do collect sensitive information we will do so in compliance with the APPs.
You have the option of not identifying yourself or dealing with us using a pseudonym in relation to particular matters. We will endeavour to make it clear where you may withhold your name or use a pseudonym.
Non-personal information we may collect
How we use your information
If we hold personal information about you that was collected for a particular purpose, we will not use or disclose it for another purpose unless: (a) you consent; (b) you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose it for that other purpose; or (c) it is required or authorised by law or a court/tribunal order.
- News Of The Area generally uses personal information, and you consent to us using your personal information, to:
- provide you with products or services you have requested;
- provide you with relevant advertising and promotional material;
- conduct promotions or competitions, including Joint Activities;
- help us manage and enhance its services and websites;
- communicate with you; or
- send you ongoing information and promotional material about opportunities, services and products (relating to our business or a third party business) in which ARM believes you may be interested.
Opting in or out and unsubscribing
At the time we collect information from you, you may be asked to “opt in” to consent to us using or disclosing your personal information, other than in accordance with this policy or any applicable law. For example, you may be asked to “opt-in” to receive further information or communications from us..
You will be given the opportunity to “opt out” or unsubscribe from receiving communications from us in accordance with this policy. Alternatively, you may contact us at the address below to “opt out” of, or unsubscribe from, any future communications.
We will use reasonable endeavours to comply as quickly as possible with that request, and in any event, within five business days.
If you receive communications purporting to be connected with us or our services that you believe have been sent to you other than in accordance with this policy, or in breach of any law, please contact us.
How do we disclose your Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees, contributors, contractors or external service providers for the operation of our websites or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and otherwise provide products and services to you, including without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, newsagents, couriers, payment processors, photographic analysers, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisers such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- our existing or potential agents, business partners or joint venture entities or partners;
- our sponsors, or promoters of any competition that we conduct or promote via our services;
- specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us;
- the police, any relevant authority or enforcement body, or your Internet Service Provider or network administrator, for example, if we have reason to suspect that you have committed a breach of any of our terms and conditions, or have otherwise been engaged in any unlawful activity, and we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary;
- as required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act).
Access to your Personal Information
Where News Of The Area holds personal information about you, we will provide you with access to the information on request within a reasonable time. There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others, or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
We will also give you access to the information in the particular manner you request if it is reasonable and practicable to do so. If we do not give you access in the manner requested, we will take reasonable steps to give you access in a way which meets both your needs and ours. We may also impose a reasonable charge for giving you access to your personal information.
Correction of your Personal Information
If we believe your personal information to be inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, we will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information. In addition, if you request us to correct your personal information, we will take reasonable steps to do so within a reasonable time. There is no fee for correcting your personal information. We may require you to provide particulars of your identity before providing you with access to, or making changes to, your personal information.
We will take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information that we hold from misuse, loss, or unauthorised access, including by means of firewalls, password access, secure servers and encryption of credit card transactions. If you suspect any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, your personal information, please let us know immediately.
Third party websites
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
If you: (a) have any questions or comments on this policy; (b) would like to access or correct your personal information; (c) would like a hard copy of this policy; (d) would like to know how we received your personal information; or (d) would like to make a complaint about a breach of the APPs or the use or disclosure of your personal information, then please contact News Of The Area by phone, email or mail: (Phone) 02 49832134 (Postal) PO Box 1000 Raymond Terrace NSW 2324 (Email) email@example.com
News Of The Area takes complaints about breaches of the APPs seriously and will investigate any complaint we receive and respond to you as soon as reasonably practicable.