Fire in residence at North Arm due to blocked fireplace flue

 

A timely reminder about the hazards of not maintaining and cleaning fireplaces occurred for the residents of a house in North Arm Cove last Thursday.

Fire crew on the scene after bringing this under control
Fire crew on the scene after bringing this under control

Just before 11am, residents of a house in Eastslope Way attempted to start their fireplace and were shortly alerted to a problem with the fireplace flue which had not been cleaned for many years.

The ceiling and insulation around the flue due to carbon build up had ignited putting the house structure and lives at great risk.

Emergency services including NSW Fire & Rescue from Tea Gardens, Ambulance, Police and RFS crews from North Arm Cove, Karuah, Tea Gardens and Limeburners Creek were also asked to attend.

Want your business advertised online with the News Of The Area? With 11,383 page-views over the last one month, you’ll reach your online audience & customers. Email us today for a quote: ads@mcnota.com.au
Want your business advertised online with the News Of The Area? With 11,383 page-views over the last one month, you’ll reach your online audience & customers. Email us today for a quote: [email protected]

Speaking with News Of The Area, Deputy Captain of Tea Gardens NSW Fire & Rescue Dean Chester said, “The owners of the house are extremely lucky that they noticed the seriousness of the situation and called when they did.”

“When we arrived on scene smoke could be seen coming from under the ridge capping of the roof which is never a good sign.”

“Upon sending in two members equipped with breathing apparatus they broke the gyprock from around the chimney flue and the roof insulation ignited. It was quickly extinguished and our investigations will continue, but it appears that a lack of maintenance is to blame for the incident,” he said.

This incident should serve as a serious reminder for those with indoor fireplaces to have their systems inspected and checked before the winter weather kicks in, and daily use of fireplaces become commonplace through necessity, and to also update their smoke alarms.

By Dave BRAZIER

 

Leave a Reply

Top