ST CHRISTOPHER’S Catholic Church is busily planning a very special 60th Anniversary of the Catholic Church in Medowie, and are looking forward to sharing its special history with our community.
Or CLICK FOR ADVERT QUOTE
The year was 1957, and the Catholic parishioners in Medowie were looking forward to finally having a Catholic Church in Medowie.
Prior to this, Mass was celebrated weekly at the old corrugated and fibro sheet Medowie Hall, which stood where the current community hall stands today.
Before the hall, Mass was celebrated at the home of the Campbell family in Ferodale, an area which is now submerged under Grahamstown Dam.
In preparation for the construction of the new church, the Parish of Raymond Terrace purchased a block of land on Medowie Road next to where the Rural Fire Station stands today.
This was later swapped for the block on which the church now stands, across the road.
The small community then got to work to raise money to help fund the construction of their church.
The history of the building of this church involved many long-term Medowie families who still worship at the church today.
Many of these families will play a part in the celebrations planned for 10 September 2017.
The Medowie Pastoral team has prepared a special day to mark the occasion.
A Mass will be held on the morning at 11:30am, followed by lunch and the opportunity to share stories and memories from years gone by.
Patrick Byro, a parishioner from St Christopher’s, told News Of The Area, “Everyone is invited to attend and celebrate this milestone in the parish with us.”
Further information can be obtained from Patrick Byron on 0458193312.
By Rachael VAUGHAN