Plans for a major development in Bulahdelah were presented by Hamptons Property Services at a meeting of local business representatives last week.
The proposal, aimed at reinvigorating Bulahdelah includes a highway service centre, 200 room motel, residential land subdivision of up to 200 lots and tourist facilities.
Those in attendance were informed that land adjacent to the southern side of the golf club was acquired for the project in August last year.
Hamptons Property Services representative Mrs Kristy Hodgkinson, said the project would have a positive impact on economic growth in the town, increase employment opportunities and improve tourism and infrastructure.
Mrs Hodgkinson also stated that the development could initially impact on the existing service stations and other service providers in the town.
Manager of Bulahdelah Bowling Club Allan Freihaut, believes the community should look positively towards any opportunity for growth.
“For the township of Bulahdelah to grow we need more jobs and certainly more people living here,” he said.
“We are currently only capturing 10% of passing trade and need to tap into the other 90% that drive past our town.”
“We should look at the chance of a new subdivision in a positive way.”
Business owner Christine Garrod agrees the town needs more employment opportunities, however expressed concern that the proposed development would affect existing businesses.
“To build a service centre on the outskirts of town where petrol, food and accommodation are sold will put existing businesses out of business,” she said.
“I fully support anyone who would build something on that site to promote Bulahdelah but not at the expense of existing businesses.”
Bulahdelah Chamber of Commerce and Tourism President Mr John Sahyoun said the presentation was detailed and a presented an overview of the impacts on the town.
“I am pleased that the developers were upfront with their proposal so everyone has a clear understanding of the proposed development,” he said.
“This proposal will be considered at length over the coming months.”
Mrs Hodgkinson outlined the developers would now start a consultation process with Council and other external agencies with a timeline for the project to be developed.
By Daniel SAHYOUN