Community members stop to help contain grass fire

The grass fire threatened to spread quickly.
The grass fire threatened to spread quickly.

 

AFTER a week of intense heat and the mercury hitting tops of 46 locally, the thing we needed most was rain, and the thing we needed least was lightning coming with it.

McDonalds RestaurantModern Media: Advertise with News Of The Area and you get your ad in 1) in Print, 2) on the News Website (like this ad), and 3) on our Social Media news site. A much more efficient way to advertise. Reach a HUGE audience for a LOW price TODAY! Call us on 02 4983 2134. Or [email protected]
Or CLICK FOR ADVERT QUOTE

But come it did, and it brought a flash of drama with it.

A local resident from Campvale, Gus, spotted a lightning strike come into contact with a power pole across from Finnan Park, Grahamstown Dam, on his way home on Monday.

The grass at the base of the power pole quickly caught alight, and Gus pulled over to do what he could to contain it.

A News Of The Area reporter just happened to be travelling close behind with her mother and son, and stopped to give assistance to Gus.

The pair worked to smother the edges of the fire patch and prevent it from getting away until the fire brigade could attend to take over.

It was wonderful to see some familiar faces of some Medowie families who also stopped to help soon after and placed calls to Raymond Terrace Fire and Rescue, updating them on the situation.

Gus was worried the fire got away for a bit, but the helpers made sure it didn’t move far, with everyone safely working as a team.

One extra special volunteer from the community played a vital part in the containment of the fire as it threatened to move towards the bushland of Campvale and Medowie.

Jack Ryner, a resident of Medowie, ran nonstop back and forth to Finnan park filling empty drink bottles and containers for the adults to use on the flames.

Well done to Raymond Terrace Fire and Rescue for arriving quickly and doing the wonderful job you do.

It was great to see our own Giacomo Arnott, Port Stephens Councillor for West Ward, hard at work for Raymond Terrace Fire and Rescue.

Thank you also to the mum of our reporter for snapping some shots, while keeping kids safe away from the fire while the adults worked.

It goes to show just how quickly a fire can happen, at a moments notice.

Our reporter noticed on the way home that the Medowie Rural Fire Brigade had also been called out, this time to a fire on Masonite Road which, at time of print, still continues to flare up.

Several crews from neighbouring towns are currently rendering assistance to our local brigades.

Summer, and this heat, is far from over.

Stay safe everyone!

How lucky we are to have such fantastic brigades and fire services.

 

By Rachael VAUGHAN

 

‘Gus’ told News Of The Area, “I didn’t do anything special, focus on the kid, he’s the one who made a difference” (left) Jack Ryner from Medowie ran non stop bringing bottles of water from nearby Finnan Park to help contain the fire. (right)
‘Gus’ told News Of The Area, “I didn’t do anything special, focus on the kid, he’s the one who made a difference” (left)
Jack Ryner from Medowie ran non stop bringing bottles of water from nearby Finnan Park to help contain the fire. (right)

 

Raymond Terrace Fire & Rescue ensured there was no spark left to reignite, finishing off the job.
Raymond Terrace Fire & Rescue ensured there was no spark left to reignite, finishing off the job.

Leave a Reply

Top