The Family of Baron the Greyhound have had their Christmas holiday come to a tragic end, with their beloved pet passing away whilst staying at Jane’s Pet Resort in Fern Bay while the family was on holidays.
Nathan Wilson, and his partner Dean Compton, arrived at the pet resort to collect their two dogs, Baron and Charlotte, a day early from their holiday.
A staff member returned moments later after going to collect the animals, telling Dean and Nathan, ‘Your dog is dead’, in front of one of their two sons.
Staff at Jane’s pet resort told the family that they had checked on the dogs not more than fifteen minutes prior to collection, but a local vet confirmed with the family upon checking Baron’s body that he had been gone for a number of hours.
The veterinarian reported to the family that Baron, a three-year-old rescue Greyhound, had died as a result of heatstroke and dehydration.
The surviving family dog, Charlotte, collapsed a short time later, and has also now been treated for heatstroke and dehydration.
The family and their veterinarian remain hopeful that they caught Charlotte’s condition in time, and that she will recover.
Owner Nathan told News Of The Area, “We are just so distraught that we trusted this business with our babies, and they have dealt with the matter so poorly.”
“Baron, we are so sorry that we trusted these people to look after you, and that they failed you so badly.”
“We will make sure we fight for you and will do our best to ensure no other family has to experience something so devastating,” he said.
The RSPCA has been contacted by the family, and an official complaint has been made.
The RSPCA attended the resort promptly on Thursday and have opened an
investigation, as well as taking hold of Baron’s body for an autopsy.
News Of The Area will follow up with them on the outcome of this tragic situation, and will keep in touch with Nathan and his family as they seek answers.
Jane’s Pet Resort have been contacted for comment, but have yet to respond to News Of The Area.
By Rachael VAUGHAN