History of The Branch at Karuah

THE BRANCH: Remains of a chimney may hold the key
THE BRANCH: Remains of a chimney may hold the key

There’s a gap in the history of “The Branch,” which the Karuah local history group would like to fill.

The Branch is a large pocket of land to the west of the Pacific Highway at the turnoff to Karuah.

Robyn Witt, a member of the Karuah Local History Group told News Of The Area, “We’re currently undertaking a project which will ultimately lead to a book on the area.”

Mumm's on the Myall
Modern Media: Advertise with News Of The Area and you get your ad in 1) in Print, 2) on the News Website (like this ad), and 3) on our Social Media news site. A much more efficient way to advertise. Reach a HUGE audience for a LOW price TODAY! Call us on 02 4983 2134. Or media@newsofthearea.com.au

Or CLICK FOR ADVERT QUOTE

The Branch dates back to the 1820’s.

The area was originally part of a one million acre grant of land belonging to the Australian Agricultural Company.
From the 1850’s to the 1930’s the area thrived, thanks to the timber industry and a local sawmill.

Between the 1930’s and the 1980’s a mill was owned by CSR and AMP owned a big chunk of land.
“And that’s where our information is sketchy,” said Robyn.

“We’d like to hear from anyone who remembers those years or has any information about those times.”
Today an old cricket pitch is all that’s left of the village and the derelict remains of a chimney marks the spot of the old mill.

The Karuah History Group would like to hear from anyone with information about the involvement of CSR and AMP in the area from the 1950’s to the 1980’s.

Robyn Witt can be contact on 0404461158 or email localhistory14@gmail.com.au or Lloyd Mitchell on 0249975943 or email loyd1941@bigpond.com.au

By Margie TIERNEY

THE BRANCH: Historical Society looking for answers
THE BRANCH: Historical Society looking for answers

Leave a Reply

Top