Summer in Port Stephens is peak season but the local tourism industry has banded together to launch the area’s first-ever summer promotion with activities and programs designed to enhance the visitor experience and inspire holidaymakers to return in the other three seasons.
Running through December and January, the new ‘Love Summer, Love Nelson Bay’ program has been launched by the Tomaree Business Chamber, D’ALBORA Marinas, Port Stephens Council and Destination Port Stephens to showcase new activities that highlight the diverse appeal of Nelson Bay as the warm heart of Port Stephens.
Events include new twilight markets, live music, late-night shopping along with both New Year’s Eve and Australia Day celebrations.
Destination Port Stephens Marketing Manager Danny Eather said that while the region’s beautiful beaches, bays, weather and fresh seafood continued to attract large summer crowds, the destination could not rest on its laurels.
“It’s a competitive market and with so many destinations vying for the visitor dollar, we need to capitalise on our summer influx and give visitors the best holiday ever so that they go home with brilliant impressions, return in autumn, winter and spring and tell their friends all about our beautiful piece of paradise,” Mr Eather said.
“Our aim as hosts is for our smiles to be bigger, our welcomes friendlier, our streets cleaner, our service more attentive and the atmosphere more memorable so we’ll be encouraging all businesses operators in Nelson Bay and across Port Stephens to help realise these goals.”
Support of the summer campaign has also come from the local business community with The Nelson Resort, Quad Bike King, Nelson Bay Golf Club, Telstra Store Salamander Bay, Port Stephens Accommodation and Ryan Palmer, all investing in the Love Summer, Love Nelson Bay program.
Highlights of the Love Summer, Love Nelson Bay program include:
● Nelson Bay CBD and foreshore twilight markets including the popular Sacred Tree Markets from 4-9pm on December 30 and January 6, 13, 20 and 27.
● A free day of live music, capped by 9pm fireworks, by the water at D’ALBORA Marinas on New Year’s Eve, from 11am.
● Late-night shopping until 8pm in Nelson Bay’s CBD on Friday, December 30, and every Friday in January with roving street performers and entertainers.
● Free live music in and around Nelson Bay and at D’ALBORA Marinas throughout December and January.
● Australia Day celebrations at Nelson Bay on January 26.
For a full guide to all events and activities, visit www.portstephens.org.au/lovesummer