Nineteen-year-old charged following police pursuit in Raymond Terrace


A MAN has been charged with a range of offences following a police pursuit in the state’s Hunter region last week.

About 7.40am on Wednesday 15 December 2021, officers from the Port Stephens-Hunter Police District were patrolling Richardson Road at Raymond Terrace when they attempted to stop a Holden Commodore sedan with five people onboard.

Bay FMAdvertise with News of The Area today.
It’s worth it for your business.
Message us.
Phone us – (02) 4981 8882.
Email us – [email protected]

The vehicle allegedly failed to stop and accelerated from officers, and a pursuit was initiated.

The pursuit continued through several streets before the Commodore crashed into a brick fence in Watt Street and the driver fled the scene on foot.

“We will allege that the male driver actually exited the vehicle whilst still moving at a slow speed, causing the collision with a brick fence,” Detective Superintendent Chad Gillies said.

The other four occupants of the vehicle were spoken to by police at the scene.

Police established a perimeter and with the assistance of PolAir and the Dog Unit, the man was located hiding in another vehicle, which was located on Brown Street.

The nineteen-year-old was arrested and taken to Raymond Terrace Police Station where he was charged with police pursuit –not stop– drive recklessly, drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous, destroy or damage property and drive while licence cancelled.

Additionally, he was charged with two outstanding warrants and over twenty charges relating to a range of theft, assault, and traffic-related offences.

He was refused bail and appeared in Raymond Local Court on Thursday 16 December 2021, where he was formally refused bail and is due to appear in the same court on Monday 14 February 2022.

“At this point in time he has been charged with twenty offences, which have occurred not only here, but also the Newcastle City Police District, Manning-Great Lakes Police District and Oxley Police District.

“Investigations are ongoing but great work again to our officers on the day,” Superintendent Gillies said.

Inquiries are continuing.



Leave a Reply