‘On the couch’ with Jasminda Jasminda - Agony Aunt by News Of The Area - Modern Media - May 18, 2022 DEAR Jasminda, How do we balance fairness with sanity in terms of music when travelling with our teenage children? Morrie B. Dear Morrie, I have one word for you. Headphones. Preferably not for the driver, who, in my opinion deserves preferential treatment and should be able to enjoy their playlist – a finely curated mix that allows them to go into a calm and possibly nostalgic state, therefore able to deal with lunatics overtaking on the inside lane, backseat arguments, and various other unwanted distractions. If, however, you’d like to be a bit more democratic in the decision-making process, then it should be a playlist that alternates the tastes of each passenger. What you are left with is an eclectic combination of songs that will keep you all happy for at least 25 percent of the journey, and gritting your teeth for the other 75 percent. There is also the option of silence, or some gentle prodding about career aspirations (which will quickly lead to silence in my experience). Without fail, though, a calm trip can be achieved if each car member has responsibility for their own listening enjoyment and this is where individual devices, though not ideal for communicating with each other, will ensure that you are all still on speaking terms when you arrive at your destination. Carpe diem, Jasminda.