Weekly Emergency Services Update for Port Stephens Highlight Section Port Stephens by News Of The Area - Modern Media - June 20, 2022 The Hon Steph Cooke, Steve Raymond (Zone Operations Manager for Marine Rescue NSW), David Aselford (Marine Rescue Lemon Tree Passage Unit Commander), Steve Vautier (Marine Rescue Lemon Tree Passage Deputy Unit Commander) and Jim Wright (Marine Rescue NSW Divisional Director) with the Community Engagement trailer. Photo: Marine Rescue Lemon Tree Passage. Minister Visits Marine Rescue Marine Rescue Lemon Tree Passage was visited on Sunday 19 June by the Hon Steph Cooke, Minister for Emergency Services and Resilience and Minister for Flood Recovery. Advertise with News of The Area today. It’s worth it for your business. Message us. Phone us – (02) 4981 8882. Email us – [email protected] The Minster met with members and was also present for the unveiling of a Community Engagement Trailer which will be used by Marine Rescue Lemon Tree Passage for local events and boating education. Minister Cooke was shown the vessel LT30 and the local waterways. Free Covid Test Scam SERVICES Australia is warning residents to be cautious of a scam regarding a ‘free COVID-19 test kit’. The scam text message says you can order a free COVID-19 test kit because you’ve been in contact with a positive COVID-19 case. It also includes a link where you can order your free kit. These scam text messages are impersonating the Australian Government, Medicare and myGov. If you click on the link, it will take you to a fake ‘Australian Government’ website and the website will ask you to ‘book now’ for a free COVID-19 testing kit. You may then see a fake myGov or Medicare website that asks you to provide your personal information. This may include asking for your banking details. The scammers use this to steal information and money. If you receive the text message, delete the message and never give out personal information to someone you don’t know. Outdoor Heaters NSW Poisons Information Centre reminds all residents that as the temperature drops, to never bring outdoor heaters, fire pits or charcoal barbecues inside for warmth. This can cause a build-up of Carbon Monoxide gas leading to tragic consequences. Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas – it takes the place of oxygen in the blood and it is very poisonous. Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea and tiredness. Longer exposures can cause coma, brain injury and death. Young children, pregnant women and the elderly are most vulnerable, but anyone can be at risk of serious poisoning. Be Safe Not Sorry Fire and Rescue NSW wishes to remind all residents to Be Safe, Not Sorry. Launching this year’s fire safety campaign, ‘Be Safe, Not Sorry’, the reminder to check house smoke alarms is more prominent than ever. “Did you know that you can’t smell smoke in your sleep? “The risk of a fatality in a house fire is halved if there is a working smoke alarm inside your house. “It’s been ten years since smoke alarms became compulsory across NSW and most smoke alarms don’t last ten years- it’s time to check your smoke alarm,” a member of Fire and Rescue Stockton said. Raymond Terrace Fire On 16 June, local Fire Units were called to a house fire in Raymond Terrace. On arrival, the crew entered the unoccupied house to find a pot that was accidentally left on the stove. The Brigades worked quickly to extinguish the fire, however there was structural damage to the kitchen wall, in the roof space, ceiling and some smoke damage. By Tara CAMPBELL Raymond Terrace Fire & Rescue Brigade working to extinguish a fire this week. Photo: Raymond Terrace Fire & Rescue.