Close call for North Arm Cove resident Colin Williams after table lamp overheats

The lamp exposed to sunlight that overheated and caught fire.


LOCAL North Arm Cove resident Colin Williams got the shock of his life to find a well-meaning Christmas gift, alight in his home.

Bulahdelah Bowling ClubModern Media: Advertise with News Of The Area and you get your ad in 1) in Print, 2) on the News Website (like this ad), and 3) on our Social Media news site. A much more efficient way to advertise. Reach a HUGE audience for a LOW price TODAY! Call us on 02 4983 2134. Or

Family and friends gathered at the home over Christmas exchanging gifts and enjoying the Festive season.

One gift, a table lamp has since been displayed in a downstairs room of the two-story home, with no concern or thought it could become such a danger.

The lamp received a small amount of sunlight, overheated causing it to catch on fire and burn a tablecloth.

Colin told News Of The Area, “We were very lucky to have escaped this dangerous situation especially with the current hot weather conditions.”

After safely removing the lamp and after cooling, Colin was able to read, with a magnifying glass, a small label under the base which noted *the lamp should not be exposed to sunlight.

“I just want everyone to know how dangerous these lamps can be, we have really just escaped the catastrophe of our home burning or even worse,” Colin said.


By Sandra CLARK


Small labelling underneath the lamp.

Leave a Reply