Not too late for Myall Coast residents to apply for bushfire rate relief

Burrell Creek bushfire damage in December 2019.


FOLLOWING an announcement last year that Service NSW Rural Rate Relief for bushfire impacted properties would continue for a further six months, there’s more good news for local bushfire affected residents with the State Government announcing an extension on the application period for the rate relief policy.

Property owners now have until 17 February to submit their applications to Council for the additional six months of rate relief.

While MidCoast Council has already received over 100 applications, it’s anticipated there will be up to 2000 landholders who are eligible to receive the rates relief.

Council is urging all locals who were impacted by the fires to assess their eligibility using the guidance questions provided by the State Government and should they answer yes to all of the questions, submit their application as soon as possible.

The guidance questions are:

1. Is it a rural property?

2. Did the affected property have a Council approved dwelling on it? (e.g. house, machinery shed, hay shed)

3. Was 75% or more of the property impacted by the fire?

4. Was most of the infrastructure lost? (e.g. most of the fencing, water tanks, irrigation, machinery)

The NSW Government will pay council rates notices for eligible customers for Quarter 1 (July – September) and Quarter 2 (October – November) this financial year (2020–21).

This includes the land rates component and fixed service charges such as waste, where the amount is included on the council rates notice only.

This Council rate relief for Q1 and Q2 is in addition to the rate relief previously provided to land owners whose homes were destroyed or damaged beyond repair.

Council needs to submit their list of identified properties to the State Government by 18 February so all applications must be submitted to MidCoast Council by COB 17 February 2021.

If you or someone you know could be eligible, consider the guidance questions and complete the form on Council’s website at

You can also apply in person at any of Council’s Customer Service points. If applying in person you will need to have a copy of your rates notice and evidence of infrastructure lost.

Evidence can include: Photos, satellite imagery, insurance claims, a letter from a clean-up agency or Building impact assessments, a statutory declaration identifying the damage and signed by a Justice of the Peace, confirmation of receipt of the Red Cross Re-establishment Grant or the Rural Assistance Authority Special Disaster Grant.

For any further enquiries and support contact Council’s Bushfire Recovery Team on 7955 7543 or email

Leave a Reply