Raymond Terrace teenager left fighting for his life after backyard fire incident

Jayden Blackie is left fighting for his life in Sydney’s Royal North Shore Hospital.


ON 17 October, a teenager was severely burnt in a bonfire accident in Raymond Terrace.

Jayden Blackie was set to start Year 12, but instead, is fighting for his life in Sydney’s Royal North Shore hospital after what was believed to be methylated spirits was thrown onto a backyard bonfire.

Choices Flooring Port StephensAdvertise with News of The Area today.
It’s worth it for your business.
Message us.
Phone us – (02) 4981 8882.
Email us – media@newsofthearea.com.au

A representative from Raymond Terrace Fire and Rescue said, “We attended a backyard fire that had accelerants thrown into it, which has resulted in serious injuries.

“Backyard fires are only allowed in Raymond Terrace and Heatherbrae when they are small and for recreational purposes.

“They can be dangerous and we have attended far too many burns victims from backyard fires gone bad, and backyard fires that have gotten loose and set grass or property on fire.”

Jayden was immediately placed in an induced coma and on life support by NSW Ambulance Paramedics and the Helicopter Critical Care Medical Team upon their arrival before being flown to Sydney’s Royal North Shore Hospital.

The teen has suffered terrible burns on his face, chest and arms.

Jayden is still on life support but has woken up a number of times and is attempting to communicate via white board.

The community have come together to raise over $5,000 to support Jayden and his family in this time, and for those wishing to donate, head to https://www.gofundme.com/f/jaydens-fight-to-recovery



Leave a Reply