NSW road toll rises to four

The state’s road toll now stands at four, following the death of two people yesterday (Sunday 5 April 2015), including one child.

Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley, said Easter Monday is when many Australians are wrapping up their holidays and driving back home.

“Two more people died yesterday – one of them a nine-year-old boy whose sister had died yesterday morning after a crash at Doyalson,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

“His family has now lost two children in what can only be described as an incomprehensible tragedy.

“A 61-year-old pedestrian also died yesterday morning after being hit by a car at Parramatta.

“While travelling by road carries inherent risks for anyone, pedestrians and cyclists can be the most vulnerable road users due to a lack of barrier protection.

“Please, as you make your way home, remember the four lives that have been lost on our roads during the weekend – it could have very easily been anyone.

“Road safety is everyone’s responsibility, whether you’re a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, passenger, or driver.

“Respect each other’s rights to be on our roads and be patient with one another.

“Thousands of police are patrolling roads across NSW on the last day of Operation Tortoise, conducting random breath and drug tests.

“If you’re returning home from the Easter long weekend, be prepared for delays and don’t become complacent – many motorists will be in the same position and it doesn’t give anyone the right to speed.

“Remember to stop, revive, and survive on the way home, and #sharetosurvive,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

So far, over the course of Operation Tortoise this year, police have made 166 drink driving charges and issued 3783 traffic infringement notices (TINs) for speeding. Police have conducted 187,449 breath tests.

145 people have been injured in road crashes, compared to 173 at the same time last year.

Yesterday’s deaths bring the state’s Easter long-weekend road toll to four. The nine-year-old boy was one of seven people injured in a collision involving a Holden Astra and a Toyota Hilux on Wyee Road, at Doyalson, about 5.15pm on Saturday 4 April 2015. His eight-year-old sister died yesterday morning (Sunday 5 April 2015).

Two women and three children travelling in the car and two women travelling in the ute were trapped in the wreckage before being released by emergency services. A 12-year-old boy is now stable. All women sustained fractures in the crash and are reported to be in a stable condition.

Yesterday, a 61-year-old woman died when she was struck by a vehicle on Marsden Street, Parramatta, about 9.50am. She was airlifted by CareFlight helicopter to Westmead Hospital, but died shortly afterwards.

Meanwhile, a 14-year-old boy is in a critical condition after he was hit by a car yesterday while riding his bike at Tenambit, Maitland. Police have been told the teenager was riding along Goldingham Street when he was struck. It’s believed he was not wearing a helmet. He was taken to John Hunter Hospital with critical head injuries.

Operation Tortoise – the traffic campaign over the Easter long weekend – began at 00:01am on Thursday 2 April and ends at 11:59pm tonight (Monday 6 April). #sharetosurvive is the core social media message.

In other incidents state-wide on day four and five of the operation:

• A 36-year-old man was driving along Pembroke Road, Minto, when he allegedly failed to slow down as he approached an RBT site about 5pm yesterday (Sunday 5 April 2015). The driver stopped when he hit a police sign, but allegedly accelerated away as officers approached him. Police pursued his vehicle for a short time until they reached a dead-end street. The driver was arrested and subjected to a roadside breath test, which allegedly produced a positive result. He was taken to Macquarie Fields Police Station, where a breath analysis returned a reading of 0.097. Licence checks revealed the man had been disqualified from driving until 2022. He was charged with six offences, including Skye’s Law, mid-range drink-driving, drive whilst disqualified, and drive recklessly/furiously. The man was refused bail to appear at Campbelltown Local Court tomorrow (Tuesday 7 April 2015).

• A 19-year-old learner driver has been charged after allegedly being detected speeding and unaccompanied in Sydney’s south about 3.30am today (Monday 6 April 2015). Police from Botany Highway Patrol stopped the driver at Kyeemagh after he was detected allegedly travelling at 123km/h in a sign-posted 70km/h zone. The driver allegedly refused to produce his licence, which was suspended on the spot for six months. The man, from Ingleburn, was issued with infringement notices for exceed speed limit by more than 45km/h, learner unaccompanied, fail to display L plates, state false particulars, and refuse to produce licence. The fines total $3498.

• About 7am yesterday (Sunday 5 April 2015), officers attended a house on Renwick Street, Marrickville, in response to reports of an intoxicated person. On approaching the premises, a 28-year-old woman was seen getting into a Ford Falcon sedan and driving along Renwick Street. She was stopped by police near the intersection of Excelsior Street and subjected to a roadside breath test, which returned a positive reading. She was arrested and taken to NewtownPolice Station, where a breath analysis returned a reading of 0.225. The woman, a P2 provisional driver, was charged with high range drink-driving and had her licence suspended and confiscated. She was granted conditional bail to appear at Newtown Local Court on Thursday 30 April 2015.

• A 48-year-old man was driving a sedan on the Princes Highway, Bodalla, when he was stopped for a random breath test about 10.45pm yesterday (Sunday 5 April 2015). The breath test allegedly produced a positive result. He was arrested and taken to Moruya Police Station, where a breath analysis returned a reading of 0.199. Licence checks revealed the man was disqualified from driving until October 2016. The man, from Sunshine Bay, was issued with a future court attendance notice for high range drink-driving and disqualified driver. He will appear at Moruya Local Court on Friday 8 May 2015.

• A 34-year-old man allegedly failed to stop for a random breath test on Campbelltown Road, Campbelltown about 8.30am yesterday (Sunday 5 April 2015). Police commenced a pursuit, which travelled along Campbelltown Road and the M5 Hume Motorway. During the pursuit, it’s alleged the driver reached a speed of 190km/h in a 110km/h zone. Officers deployed road spikes about 1km north of the Picton Road overpass, which resulted in the vehicle stopping. The driver was arrested at the scene and taken to Campbelltown Police Station, where he was charged with Skye’s Law, other offences related to the pursuit, and breach of AVO. He was refused bail to appear at Campbelltown Local Courttomorrow (Tuesday 7 April 2015).

Leave a Reply