Call for Justice of the Peace applicants

Heather Harmer, Wendy Judd and Kevin Tomlinson volunteering their time as JPs.
Heather Harmer, Wendy Judd and Kevin Tomlinson volunteering their time as JPs.


A VERY common comment from people is that they can’t find a Justice of the Peace in Port Stephens.

Kate Washington
Modern Media: Advertise with News Of The Area and you get your ad in 1) in Print, 2) on the News Website (like this ad), and 3) on our Social Media news site. A much more efficient way to advertise. Reach a HUGE audience for a LOW price TODAY! Call us on 02 4983 2134. Or


There are nearly 100 JPs in Medowie and if you consider Raymond Terrace, Tilligerry and the Bay, there are over 500 JPs.

Justices of the Peace provide an invaluable service to the community on a voluntary basis.
These services include witnessing of Statutory Declarations and Affidavits.

They also include certifying copies of documents and photographic identification.

There is a service at Raymond Terrace Market Place where members of the Raymond Terrace Branch of the Northern NSW Federation of Justices of the Peace (NNSWFJPs) operate a Community Stand.
This is conducted each Tuesday from 9.30am to 1.30pm and is located near the Woolworths Supermarket.

The NNSWFJPs Port Stephens Branch also holds a Community Stand at Salamander Shopping Centre on the first Saturday of every month (January to November) from 10.00am to 2.00pm.

Justices of the Peace do not have to be members of the NNSWFJPs, however for a nominal membership fee, members are kept advised of any legal requirements and changes.

The Federation also provides tutorials to make sure members are fully aware of their responsibilities.

Previously, there were quite a number of people who could witness documents, but in NSW, statutory documents and affidavits can only be witnessed by qualified people.

A NSW statutory declaration must be taken by a person holding a position specified by the relevant Act as one which entitles the holder to take a statutory declaration, the person must be an ‘authorised witness’.

In NSW, an authorised witness must be a justice of the peace, notary public, commissioner of the court for taking affidavits, legal practitioner or a person authorised to administer an oath.

Secretary of the Raymond Terrace Branch of NNSWFJPs, Kevin Tomlinson, told News Of The Area, “Anyone wishing to become a JP can find more details on the NSW Attorney General and Justice Website where the procedure is clearly explained.”
“They can also visit Raymond Terrace Market Place or Salamander Shopping Centre and talk to the JPs providing their services at the Community Stands.”

“Current JPs should seriously consider joining the NNSWFJPs; if we could get more members we may be able to provide a service in Medowie like we do in Raymond Terrace and Salamander Bay,” he said.

Being a Justice of the Peace is a satisfying voluntary activity and provides the community with a very valuable service.

The public can find the contact details for JPs in NSW by going to the NSW Attorney General and Justice Website ( and entering the postcode for the area they are seeking.
The names and a contact phone number for all current JPs are displayed.


By Rachael VAUGHAN

Leave a Reply