Bulahdelah Courthouse offers great lesson in history Bulahdelah, Wootton, Nerong by NOTA - August 19, 2015 If you want a history lesson in Bulahdelah, then head on down to the Bulahdelah Courthouse, a sandstone building built in 1888. Irene Worth and Kevin Carter The historic Courthouse has been a Petty Sessions Court, a Police Station, a Pre School and a Teachers Resource Centre. It is now used by the Bulahdelah & Districts Historical Society as a museum. The building is owned and managed by Great Lakes Council. The committee of volunteers open the museum each Saturday from 9am to 3pm and consists of Kevin Carter, Irene Worth, Diane Burns and Val Brown. The museum is full of items like cutlery, crockery and work tools from the 1900’s that have all been generously donated by families of the area. The court room is visited by school students and tourists and the volunteers on the committee present historical cases and allow the visitors to partake in a mock trial. Kevin Carter, President of the Committee, is grateful for the Great Lakes Council contributions as they have worked on a Conservation Management Plan and helped with renovations of the building. The building is now heritage listed as well as being under the National Trust which means that the council and the committee can work on applying for grants to maintain the building. “The museum is a collection of items donated by some key families and they are happy to allow the public to share in the history of Bulahdelah, rather than see it as their own private items,” said Kevin Carter. “This town was built on the timber and alum industry and the items at the Bulahdelah Courthouse reflect this.” Kevin Carter was proud to show off the large 9 tonne alum rock outside the front of the museum which the Bulahdelah & Historical Society is in the care of.