Firies remind Port Stephens residents to check smoke alarms

The team at Raymond Terrace Fire and Rescue NSW checking smoke alarms for a resident.

RAYMOND Terrace Fire and Rescue NSW is reminding the community to be vigilant for fire risks in our homes.

“As we enter the cooler months of the year, it’s important for people to remember that the majority of house fires start in the winter months,” Deputy Captain Giacomo Arnott told News Of The Area.

DaUpdateAdvertise with News of The Area today.
It’s worth it for your business.
Message us.
Phone us – (02) 4981 8882.
Email us –

“If you have a heater in your house, ensure that you have clearance of one metre from the heater.

“Combustible materials can easily ignite if close by.

“Do not dry wet clothes using a heater.

“Make sure you check the lint filter in your dryer before using it, as a build up of lint can easily catch alight and mean we have to visit you and put out a fire in your house.”

Mr Arnott said half of house fires in NSW start in kitchens.

“Even a small kitchen fire can have devastating results,” he said.

“Make sure you have a fire blanket and fire extinguisher in your house in case there is a fire.

“And most importantly, check your smoke alarms.

“Having a working smoke alarm significantly increases your chances of surviving a house fire.”

Support is also available for seniors and people with a disability.

“If you’re elderly or disabled, you can contact our fire station or Salamander Bay Fire Station and we can book in a free smoke alarm check for you,” Mr Arnott said.

“If you follow these safety tips, there will be less chance of us needing to see you this winter.

“Get in touch with us if you have any fire safety questions,” he said.

One local homeowner recently had assistance from Fire and Rescue NSW to update their fire alarms, which then saved the property from a stovetop fire.

“The free smoke alarm check definitely saved us from a serious house fire, we are so grateful for the service that the team at Salamander Bay Fire and Rescue NSW provided,” the homeowner said.

Leave a Reply