Northern Storm Triumphant in Grand Finals

Northern Storm win the under 13s grand final. Photo: Northern NSW Football, David Wigley.

IT was a triumphant grand final weekend for the Northern Storm with several exhilarating finishes to matches.

In the boys under 13s division 2, the Northern Storm faced runaway league winners Nambucca Strikers and matched them stride for stride.

The teams could not be separated after full-time or extra-time so the match went to a nail-biting penalty shoot-out.

After nine penalties the shoot-out was tied at 3-3 with one penalty left.

Thirteen-year-old Kaleb Pallas stepped up to the penalty spot and cool as ice, drilled the final penalty into the top corner of the net to win the grand final.

After a tantalising two hours of football and a dream finish, Captain Kaleb reflected on the roller coaster of emotions.

“Ever since I was five years old I have always dreamt of moments such as this,” he said.

“Taking the kick was nerve-racking but exciting and I was full of adrenaline.

“I knew if I scored that we would win the Grand Final, this made it all the more exciting.”

Despite the apparent calm exterior the emotions were bubbling inside.

“I was nervous walking up to take the kick but I was ok once I put the ball on the ground,” he said.

“I focused on where I had to kick the ball and where I was aiming for the ball to go, then I lined up the kick and took the shot.

“Everyone was so nervous, we all wanted to win so bad, as the ref blew his whistle the team all cheered, we knew we had won the game.”

After playing in a football match the players will remember for the rest of their life, Kaleb paid tribute to the coaches who made it all happen.

“Our coach Andrew Plumb, assistant coach Glenn Pearce and the team all worked so hard to get to this point, it was a perfect team effort.

“Winning the grand final feels amazing and I’m still excited that we won.

“Now I’m just a bit sore in my legs but I’m already excited for next season.”

In the under 12s grand final, the Northern Storm were seemingly heading into extra-time with the match locked at 1-1 with the Sawtell Spirit.

But in the dying seconds, Vinnie Hall hit the free-kick of his life, scoring from 30 yards to win the grand final for the Storm.

Jamie Kennedy’s under 13s made it a hat trick of titles for the Northern Storm as they defeated cross-town rivals Coffs United to cap off a memorable weekend.


Leave a Reply